Thursday, March 27, 2008

Vegetarian is the New Prius

Interesting read on how going vegetarian is eco-friendly.


Last month, the United Nations published a report on livestock and the environment with a stunning conclusion: "The livestock sector emerges as one of the top two or three most significant contributors to the most serious environmental problems, at every scale from local to global." It turns out that raising animals for food is a primary cause of land degradation, air pollution, water shortage, water pollution, loss of biodiversity, and not least of all, global warming.


Interesting blog post about how Michael Huffington has become a vegan.
My life changed earlier this year when I was told I had prostate cancer. I couldn't understand how I had gotten it at such a relatively young age. My gut feeling was that it must have had something to do with my diet. About the same time a close friend of mine gave me a book called The China Study, by T. Colin Campbell, Ph.D. He is the Professor Emeritus of Nutritional Biochemistry at Cornell University. The China Study is the culmination of a twenty-year partnership between Cornell University, Oxford University and the Chinese Academy of Preventive Medicine. It is the best book I have ever read that discusses the relationship between diet and health, especially as it pertains to cancer and heart disease.

No comments: